Re: tlug: Netscape and RH5.0

>> >(?) rpm, so it failed because of lack of the right dependencies. The 4.06
>>
>> Which dependencies did it fail on?  If there were no dependency problems, I
>> don't think you would have to do the Netscape RPM and Muriyari RPM in separate
>> steps.  Muriyari is also available in an tar.gz version with an install
>> script, but I'm afraid I've lost the URL again.  Somebody on TLUG is bound to
>> know it, though.

It said:

failed dependencies:
	netscape-communicator is needed by muriyari404-0.0-1TL

Actually, the more I go into the problem, the more I think it is the
fault of the combination of XFree86, the chipset and the PCI on this
notebook. While Netscape is triggering it, the segfault is from
with the X server, which shouldn't happen regardless of the crap
an application throws at it. I have heard that sometime Linux
misinterprets PCI conditions as seg faults, so the problem could
be deep. I suspect that even if I got Muriyari installed, the fault
would still be there. I'm going to fiddle with the options in the
config to see if I can stop it that way, but failing that, I think
I'll have to pursue it with the XFree people.

>> >Before I embark on anything quite that radical, can you tell me what the
>> >design goals were for muriyari? Was there a specific problem, or was it
>> >general Japanization?
>>
>> The specific problems addressed (that I know of) are that the stock Netscape
>> for Linux will not:
>>
>> 1) Display Japanese on form buttons (you get mojibake);
>> 2) Support Japanese input into forms.
>>
>> The hack fixes both of those problems, and also makes all the menus, etc.,
>> Japanese.

Sounds good. It's annoying that I can get all that on the Windows side
without jumping through hoops, thanks to thingos like NJWIN.

>> I always find myself lamenting both the scarcity of Japanese apps and the poor
>> quality (relative to its proprietary competition) of Japanese input systems
>> under Linux, but this is still a young and rapidly growing OS.  It'll get
>> better someday, and then I'll be able to talk about how we used to have to
>> walk 10 miles through the snow to do Japanese input under Linux in the old
>> days, and we liked it . . .   :-)

8-)}

Jim

--
Jim Breen        School of Computer Science & Software Engineering
Email: j.breen@example.com                Monash University