Re: tlug: ref.sh

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Eric S. Standlee wrote:

> Not that anyone is interested, but I have just been piddling with a bash
> shell command which can handle my very limited needs for command line
> access to flat-file reference files (databases with out the indexing).
>
> I call it ref.sh .  I put it in my bin directory and then ln -s ref.sh
> <new flat-file database type>.  If ref.sh is run straight, then it calls
> itself for editing.  If it is called through a symbolic link, then it
> executes the ref.sh code in relation to that links name (ie. `basename $0
> to get the link name).
>
> It definitely isn't perfect, but it should be easy to read.  I may next
> tackle making it a perl script instead to take advantage of the speed
> differences...

Perl has a module explicitly written to handle flat-file databases... i
think it's MLDBM or something like that.  Check www.perl.com's cpan
mirror, or try ftp.pht.co.jp/pub/mirrors/perl-cpan directly.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)