tlug: wacky characters

Dave writes:
 > Sometimes when i'm cruising around on the net, and i type into a form (for
 > example on the Yahoo! search engine), and then i hit enter, all this weird text
 > gets added to whatever I've typed in. It looks like this:
 > %FC%B3%3F%3F%BD%B4%FD%A8%3C%B3%3F%B9%FC%BA%3F%3F%3F%B4%FD%... etc... etc...
 > So, in the case of Yahoo, it comes back with a response saying:
 > Search for "Linux%FC%B3%3F%3F%BD%B4%FD%A.... not found"
 > (This happens on all sorts of forms, so i don't think the problem is Yahoo)
 > Then, at the same time when Yahoo (for example) gives me a results page, i get
 > some kind of "Standard Error Output" window saying "Character "'" not
 > supported... Character "L" not supported... Character "i" not supported....
 > I don't encounter this on my Mac or my PC, so i'm assuming this is a Linux
 > issue, not a Netscape issue. Ideas as to what's going on?

It's a Netscape-on-Linux issue. Or possibly a Netscape-on-RedHat-Linux
issue. Perhaps someone better versed in internationalization issues
can explain *why* it's happening, but if you just want it to stop, you
might try upgrading Netscape ... at least that will probably do it for
Red Hat; not sure about other distributions. I was having the same
problem with an earlier release of Communicator 4.05, then I upgraded
to a more recent package. The problem hasn't completely vanished, but
it's become much less frequent.

Hope this helps,

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido