Re: tlug: Linux Standards Association

Jonathan Byrne - 3Web <jq@example.com> wrote,

> This article about the Linux Standards Association (LSA) appeared on news.com
> today:
>
> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C25453%2C00.html?dd.ne.tx.fs

Unfortunately, it seems to be a slightly dubious
organization according to discussion on slashdot
<http://slashdot.org/>.  What I find funny in the above
article is that they write

 In a posting on a site frequented by Linux developers, LSA
 chief Michael McLagan responded to a slew of messages
 protesting the LSA's particular efforts to standardize
 Linux.

I am quite sure the ``site frequented by Linux developers''
is slashdot, but they don't dare to link it :-)

I think, it is very interesting to observe how people who
don't seem to have any experience with the open-source
community try apply their ``closed business methods'' and
how the open-source community reacts.  This will get more
and more exciting soon, I guess.

Wrt. to standards, I'd rather trust the folks from RedHat,
Debian, PHT, etc. rather than the LSA.

Cheers,

Manuel