tlug: Avoiding WINE

>all.  I'm not at all that experienced with WINE yet, but so far, it seems like
>it's a million miles from prime time WRT win32 stuff.  A lot of win16 stuff is
>supposed to work, though, so you might be able to use a 16-bit version of
>ws-ftp or CuteFTP, if there is such a thing.

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask for a while. Is there
a way to compile MFC-based Win32 apps for Linux & X-Windows? It seems this
must be technically easier than trying to run window binaries on Linux, and
if it was easy to use you could just beg the authors of windows software to
do a port. You might even get some big commercial software ported, which
could dramatically increase Linux's popularity.

However I suppose Linux will never make any significant penetration into
offices until it runs MS Office (or at least an almost identical clone).
It's got nothing to do with software quality, but with people, and their
reluctance to change once they've learnt something.

Darren