Re: tlug: Re: djb [was: ibm.net with LINUX (Red Hat)]

    Karl-Max> It can be configured to be compliant with legacy style
    Karl-Max> standards. He just discourages doing so.
    >> By not providing a recipe.  This is not easy stuff; without a
    >> tried recipe to check my needs against I'd be risking hosing my
    >> own users.

    Karl-Max> You don't need any. Default configuration is fully
    Karl-Max> legacy compliant. You actually have to explicitly
    Karl-Max> activate all those new features.

(1) That was not clear from the documentation at the time, which
strongly recommended enabling the new features.  (2) I had other
problems (mail in my smail queues) which I needed to clear up.

    >> it.)  For interfacing to the legacy applications for which
    >> COBOL is used, technically it's a dead heat between C and
    >> COBOL.  The C

    Karl-Max> I know PERFECTLY. It would have forced them to start
    Karl-Max> from the ground up and saved lots of cost in the long
    Karl-Max> term.

Read what I wrote and try again.  (What I wrote means _exactly_ that
it would _not_ have saved costs in the long run.)  Until then, I give
up on conversing with you.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091