tlug: Turbo-Linux

    Scott> (And since Scott assures me that the mega support
    Scott> everything kernel and floppy on the latest and greates
    Scott> Turbo Linux will solve all my problems)

TurboLinux is a good way to migrate from W95 to a real OS, of course.
And the configure tools are nice.

But I gotta deal with my "legacy" Debian systems too.  If you're still
using a libc5 Debian system, you might wanna know....

Today I did the Debian 1.3 -> Debian 2.0 upgrade (ie, libc5 ->
glibc).  Took about 5 hours, altogether, including ftp'ing netscape
4.5 (-: anybody else have that yet? ;-) and about 300 Debian
packages.  For comparison, installing TL from CD took me about 2
hours, mostly because I have to spend a lot of time on the "custom
install" selection to get /usr to fit into 500MB (by contrast, my
Debian /usr fits into 425MB, and 70MB of that is in /usr/doc).

Used the "autoup.sh" script, worked like a charm.  Ie, I didn't have
to do any thinking.

Things to watch out for: there are some orphan packages that don't
contain binary executables (sgml-data, wg15-locale, timezone) that can
get in the way of the preliminary upgrade.  Just do a "dpkg --remove"
on them and run the autoup.sh script again---it's "idempotent" ;-) If
something fails, the autoup.sh script _will_ dump you back to the
login prompt, just login, correct the problem (remove conflicting
package, set TMPDIR, whatever), and rerun autoup.sh.  (Don't quote me
on that, but that work for all the problems I encountered.)

Make sure you know what your X and development packages are; I'm not
sure the X had to go, but I swacked my X server and then installed the
wrong one (forgot which box I was on :-( )---that cost about 25
minutes.  The libc5 development packages _do_ have to go to make room
for the altdev stuff, and if you're like me with 'leventy-seven local
libraries and so on (and Debian 2.0 has at least two libraries that
are incompatible with bleeding-edge XEmacs), you may want to make sure
that they all get replaced until you get around to rebuilding all you
local stuff for glibc.

The good news is that everything I use so far works.  The bad news is
that I uninstalled cdtool for some reason and I'm without tunes until
tomorrow.  :-(

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091