Re: tlug: dual-pentium processors

Kei Furuuchi wrote:
> So I am wondering two cpus are asigned with the resources via a
> separate bus?
My understanding is with two CPUs:
one takes a master position giving programs to the second CPU,
  (so if your programs aren't written to take advantage of
multithreading,
  they just run on the first CPU, giving absolutely no speedup)
each gets half of the interrupts to handle,
and both share the same bus to all the rest of the computer.

So bus speed is still a major consideration, as is cache size on the
CPUs.

>  > Christopher Sekiya writes:
>  > [1] Does anyone else remember the dire warnings by the EE pundits around
>  >     86/87 about the dangers of emitting EMF in the high MHz range --
>  >     which is why we'll never see a bus speed higher than 33 MHz? Why
>  >     isn't that a concern anymore?
I've recently heard this concern, except now it's at the 1,000 MHz
range.
(the EMF would be in the same range as that used in microwaves they say.
Now THAT's a way to cook a machine.)

Actuallly, if the frequencies ever become a problem, sheilding would be
cake.
Hmm, maybe that's why the new heat-sinks are getting so large...

later,
Howard
Next Meeting: October, Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate 12:30