tlug: August 8th Meeting Notes

In the middle of the peak summer travel time here in Tokyo, 41 people came
out to revel at the Tlug "Platform Independent Linux" meeting.

Thanks to everyone who came out, we had a good time working on both the
fastest Tlug machines ever (DEC Alpha 600MHz and SGI Indy 5000) and also
the "I don't believe it boots linux!!" machines, a Mac 2ci and Intel 25MHz
386 (with math chip :-)   Photo's of the event are on view at:
     http://www.iijnet.or.jp/pastel/tlug/photo_1.html

The TLUG auction, led by Jim Tittsler, was both another financial success
for Tlug and also the best deal in town, seeing people leave with bargain
486 desktops tucked under their arms, ethernet cables poking out of
pockets, and multimedia speakers everywhere.

We also voted to purchase a CDRom burner from Marcus Metzler, who as well
provided images for Debian 2 which we hope to clone for the next nomikai.
The CDRom burner is now available to anyone for use in providing the
group with software distributions ... CD to burn? call Jonathan Byrne :-)

Special thanks to Gaspar Sinai for the loan of his Dec Alpha, Takeshi
Hakamada for bringing the SGI Indy, and Tim Meggs for bringing the
Mac "boilermaker".  Thanks also to Shigeo Honda for again organizing the
food and beverages, and Jonathan Byrne for organizing the library.

Best surprise of the meeting:  Jonathan's 5000 yen Sparc 2, labeled as
defective at the store, booted as soon as memory was added!

The Tengu nijikai was a gathering of minds, mostly in a foggy state, and
was a lot of fun.  What was in those shooters, Tim? :-)

Joe Marchak
joem@example.com

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: