Re: tlug: custom keyboard

On Fri, Jul 24, 1998 at 10:41:22AM +0900, Marcus Metzler wrote:
>  > I occasionally use my Twiddler (a one-hand chord keyboard,
>  > http://www.handykey.com) with Linux.  [...]

> This sounds really interesting. I looked at the web site. Is this
> twiddler thing easy to handle? Can you get it in Japan or do you have
> to order it in the US? The web site doesn`t have secure ordering.

It is reasonably easy to handle, but I find it difficult to use because it
is difficult to position the Twiddler so that both the column farthest and
the one closest to my palm are "comfortable" reaches.  The big plus for the
Twiddler is its portability and freeing you from the "sitting at your desk"
posture.  It is easy to strap on and lean back and do "read-mostly"
operations.  It also interfaces easily to the Palm Pilot for a Graffiti
alternative.  My typing speed is nowhere near what I can hit on a "standard"
(or split :-) keyboard, but the flexibility makes it an interesting toy.

I bought mine via phone order, but it is now available at Plat'home in
Akihabara (at around Y27,000 IIRC).  http://www.plathome.co.jp/

For desktop use, I find the Infogrip BAT keyboard more comfortable.  Its
tradeoff is that it is fine for plain text, but Control- or Alt- sequences
are tedious since they require sequential chords.  http://www.infogrip.com/
(I got mine at close-out prices at T-Zone.)

Jim

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   ICQ: 5981586

featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
Next Nomikai: September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691