Re: tlug: printing Japanese possible with English Netscape?

Matt Gushee wrote:
>   mike.fabian@example.com writes:
>    > Is it   possible to print  (or save  to postscript) Japanese www-pages
>    > with an English  Netscape  version or is  it  necessary to  install  a
>    > Japanese Version of Netscape?
>
>   Maybe. I do, using a low-end PostScript printer which has resident
>   Japanese fonts. If you're using Ghostscript, you might have to
>   heavily tweak the configuration or patch the source code or God knows
>   what.

I am using  a Japanese version  of Ghostscript,  and it works  ok with
other Japanese postscript files.  Only those saved by  Netscape cannot
be printed.

>   1) Netscape produces non-standard PostScript. I've tried a number of
>   times to manipulate Netscape's PS files with PostScript utilities
>   (e.g., using GV to read them or psnup to create 2-up pages) and have
>   never had any success at it, regardless of whether there was any
>   Japanese or not.

I have no such  problems. I can view  the postscript files produced by
Netscape with "gv" and  also print multiple  pages per sheet of  paper
using "mpage".

>   2) For Japanese text, the fonts are specified in RKSJ (AKA Shift-JIS)
>   encoding, which many recent PostScript printers recognize because
>   they're made to work with Windoze, but which GS may have trouble with.

If this is true, can the postscript file be converted somehow? It does
not  contain any Shift-JIS encoded characters,  therefore using a code
conversion program is useless, it does not change the file at all.

Mike
featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
Next Nomikai: September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691