Re: tlug: Pine failing to read subject

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> I'm experiencing an odd effect with Pine.

Is it good for you, too?  :-)

> It correctly gets the subject from some people's mail and a reply puts the
> right subject into the subject line with Re: before it.  On other mail, it
> doesn't do this, and put's "Re: your mail" in the subject line of a reply.
>
> On mail where this effect occurs, it also displays the full header with
> the message in my inbox, even though I don't have Pine set to display
> this.  On mail where it can read the subject, it hides the header.
>
> This happens with all mail going through the TLUG list, as well as mail I
> get from some other people.  I tried zapping my .pinerc in case I had
> inadvertantly messed something up there, but that had no effect.
>
> The weird part is that it does it on one of my machines (at home) but not
> the other (at work).

How's your .procmailrc look? Try comparing the 2 and see if one isn't
hacking your headers. If you don't see anything, try making the logfile
more verbose (i.e. "Verbose=on") in the .procmailrc. There is also the
little snippet that is supposed to check validity of "From:" lines:

:0 fhw
| formail -I "From " -a "From "

That goes up above your other recipes.

If your problem is in sendmail, it could be tough to fix.

David Riley

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki
Hachinohe-shi Aomori-ken

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp

featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
Next Nomikai: September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691