Re: tlug: SCSI and fdisk

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> What do you think of this one?
>
> I stuck a second SCSI drive into my Sparc today (one I've never used
> before) and had an odd phenomenon:  I could format an ext2 file system on
> it and successfully created a mount point and created a text file and
> saved it there.
>
> So while mkfs was happy with it and I could mount it, fdisk pukes.  Trying
> to create partition 1 gets me a message that it exists.  Trying to delete
> partition 1, create any other partition, or print the partition table
> causes a bus error and fdisk dumps core.  Fdisk can look at /dev/sda OK,
> though (SCSI ID 3).
>
> The new disk is  set up as /dev/sdb (SCSI ID is 4).
>
> Do I have something messed up in my configuration, or is this disk sick?
> It's a Quantum ProDrive 425S.  It has a jumper for setting parity off or
> on, and neither setting has any effect on the problem (however, which
> should I set it to on a Sparc 1+?).
>
> Also, this disk runs REALLY hot. So hot I can't put my hand on it for more
> than a couple of seconds, and much hotter than the Quantum Maverick 540
> next to it (/dev/sda).
>
> Thanks for any ideas on this,

What have I told you about Quantum scsi disks?? :)

Do you have the termination properly set on the SCSI chain?  If you have
two internal drives, then the controller must provide termination on one
end, and the drive on the end of the ribbon cable also needs to provide
termination, and SOMETHING probably has to provide terminator power.
Unfortunately I have no idea how to work with a Sun SCSI controller....
Chris?

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
Next Nomikai: September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691