tlug: SCSI and fdisk

What do you think of this one?

I stuck a second SCSI drive into my Sparc today (one I've never used
before) and had an odd phenomenon:  I could format an ext2 file system on
it and successfully created a mount point and created a text file and
saved it there.

So while mkfs was happy with it and I could mount it, fdisk pukes.  Trying
to create partition 1 gets me a message that it exists.  Trying to delete
partition 1, create any other partition, or print the partition table
causes a bus error and fdisk dumps core.  Fdisk can look at /dev/sda OK,
though (SCSI ID 3).

The new disk is  set up as /dev/sdb (SCSI ID is 4).

Do I have something messed up in my configuration, or is this disk sick?
It's a Quantum ProDrive 425S.  It has a jumper for setting parity off or
on, and neither setting has any effect on the problem (however, which
should I set it to on a Sparc 1+?).

Also, this disk runs REALLY hot. So hot I can't put my hand on it for more
than a couple of seconds, and much hotter than the Quantum Maverick 540
next to it (/dev/sda).

Thanks for any ideas on this,

Jonathan

featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
Next Nomikai: September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691