Re: tlug: Color depth in GIMP

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Rex Walters wrote:
>
> >The choices are RGB, Greyscale, or *Indexed*.  Since "indexed" is greyed
> >out it means it's your current selection (I'm guessing you loaded an
> >existing image rather than creating a new one from scratch -- you've got
> >exactly the same "color depth" as the original image).  Hint: try "rgb".
>
> Actually, this was happening when I created new images.  Choosing RGB
> gave it a color depth of 16 without asking me whether that's what I
> wanted or not.

it will default to the color depth of your screen, which is 16bpp.  Xpaint
does the same thing, at least with xpms.  xv always saves xpms as 8-bit,
no matter what.  I like gimp/xpaint's approach better, IMHO.

> The amount of time I can spend in Linux now makes me wish that it could
> run Win32 apps, and that there was a nice, easy editing tool for the
> lookup dictionaries of the kanji servers (Mac and Windows blow us away
> on this one).  It takes a bit of jigging and dancing to get "Jonathan"
> into katakana in Jpine :-)

turn on your capslock.  If you're using kinput2, caps = katakana,
lowercase = hiragana.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: