Re: tlug: 30 pin memory available

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Michael Chiu wrote:

>Interesting idea... it is definitely a lot cheaper in the US, but to
>import to Japan... is there much of a market for it?  at least outside
>of TLUG?  I think out here, most people bought their personal computers

I think so.  I'm not interested in selling it to people with ancient
PC (who would spend money on a 386 machine?), but on people with ancient
Sparcstations (we do spend money on those, don't we :-)   ).  Sparcs, no
matter how old, have a nearly mystical quality in Japan that makes old
things like a Sparcstation 5 worth more than some new computers.  But
where do you go for memory?  Buy expensive new stuff when you can find
it, or buy expensive used stuff when you can find it.   It's among old
Sparc owners that I think there may be a market.

A friend of mine has rounded up 10 1-meg parity SIMMs, 8 of which are 60
nanosecond. He's going to send me those, but I may put the 60 nanosecond
ones in my own machine, replacing some slower ones that are in it now.
I also have him checking for 4 meg SIMM availability.  If I can find
decent quanities of them and have them shipped periodically by SAL, it
might be viable.  I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section