Re: tlug: where is the linux netscape for free.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Standlee <fwiw3980@example.com>

>showing its age!?!?!?!?!  I know that this came up with ?Jonathan?
>installing on a ?Sparc?, but does that solution work here; are there
other
>specifics at work here?

Are you running on a Sparc?  I've been under the impression that you had
an Intel machine, but perhaps I was wrong?   Anyway, there is no
Netscape for Sparc Linux.  You could try compiling the Mozilla 5 source
and see how it goes, though.

>On a similar note.  My copy of RH 5.1 will arrive soon.  Should I just
wipe
>the slate clean and install it fresh, or is there a way to install the
base
>5.1 over a current 4.1 and what are the benefits/drawbacks?

You'll have to wipe the slate clean.  Backup any important date you may
have first, of course.  If your machine is a Sparc, is it a 4c
architecture machine (anything Sparcstation 2 or older falls into this
category I believe)?  If so, RH 5.1 is completely broken WRT Sun 4c
right now, and at least for a while, until they get a fixed kernel out
(would have been nice if they tested this before shipping, huh?), it
will just sit on your shelf for a while.

If you do have an Intel machine, on the other hand, you can install 5.1
and will be in much better shape than with your shaky 4.1 version.
<INFOMERCIAL> But you'd be better off still with TurboLinux 2.0-J, which
does everything Red Hat does, and some things Red Hat doesn't, such as
having a full set of Japanese extensions (if you care about that), and
backward compatability with libc5.  It's also a little cheaper, I think,
and IMO has better support. The only particular advantage I can name for
Red Hat is that it comes with a copy of BRU 2000. So put in TurboLinux,
then install the copy of BRU off of your Red Hat CD if you want
it.</INFOMERCIAL>  No, Pacific HiTech doesn't pay me to say this stuff
:-)

Either way, though, you'll be much better off with an up-to-date Red Hat
or TurboLinux, since pretty much everything in the Red Hat 4.1
distribution is now very dated.

Cheers,

Jonathan

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: