Re: tlug: NFS permission denied

    Scott> On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:
    >>  Is the cd mounted on the linux box? You can't remote mount
    >> something that itself is not mounted.

    Scott> Not true - as long as the mount point /mnt/cdrom or
    Scott> whatever exists on the remote server, you can nfs mount it
    Scott> (there won't be anything there, but it won't give
    Scott> permission denied).

Well...., ok. You can remotely mount a mount point that does not have
anything mounted on it at the server side, in much the same way you
can "more /dev/null" :)

    >>  Did you do a "exportfs -a"? This needs to be done before the
    >> system will see the changes in /etc/exports.
    >>

    Scott> Hm, I mentioned restarting nfs with a sysv init script - I
    Scott> actually didn't know about exportfs, thanks for the tip :)

Now I'm confused. I just assumed that exportfs -a was run somewhere in
bowels of /etc/rc.d. That does not seem to be the case, as least for
RH 5.0.

On SunOS 4.1.x this gets run in /etc/rc.local if /etc/exports
exists. If run with no args, it lists the currently exported file
systems.

On Solaris, this is done with the share command, but there is also an
exportfs command that just calls "share".

Anyway, the point is that now I know that I don't know how to know
which file systems are being exported on RH. It looks like mountd
takes care of reading /etc/exports on linux.

Andy
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: