Re: tlug: Data type 9 not supported?

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Jim Tittsler wrote:

> On <a couple of different occasions>, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:
> >Help!  I can boot up my Sparc from a boot floppy.  I've got my disks
> >partitioned (q: why does the 4.2 installer only format the swap partition
> >(it's on sdb) but nothing else?  Never even asks about the rest), I get
>
> The RedHat installation sequence does seem a bit odd.  It won't format
> the other partitions until later in the install process.  You didn't
> get that far.
>
> > Do you know where I can get a boot.img for 5.1?  All of the stuff
>
> There isn't one.  At least not yet.  RedHat claims that the glibc library
> makes the boot image too large to fit on a floppy.  There was talk on the
> mailing list of making a libc5-based boot disc, but it hasn't happened yet.

I had this happen to me with TurboLinux - TL 2.0 has glibc 2.0.7 and libc5
5.4.38, but the installer uses libc 5.3.12 because that's the latest
version that will fit on the floppies :)  I'm not sure how it is that
glibc actually is BIGGER than libc5, when many of its libs are now
externalized, but..

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: