Re: tlug: [Q] Job Postings on List

On Wed, Jul 01, 1998 at 03:57:52PM +0900, craigoda@example.com wrote:
> The last time this was discussed, people wanted to get the information.
> However, since the number of members has increased dramatically, I'm
> checking for opinions again.  Right now it says on the TLUG FAQ that it is
> acceptable to post job notices on the main TLUG list.

I'm affiliated with the North Carolina System Administrators (NC*SA)
organization which had what I thought was a rather elegant solution to
the issue.  The main mailing list for the organization was
ncsa-discussion@example.com  After polling the membership, it was
decided to create a new list "ncsa-jobs" that initially contained all
members of the ncsa-discussion list.  Anybody that *didn't* want to
know of job announcements could remove themselves from the ncsa-jobs
list.  The ncsa-help addresses and all group literature, web
pages, etc., notified new subscribers of both lists.

In addition, each meeting had a "Have-A-Job/Need-A-Job" session where
prospective employers or people between jobs were allowed a turn at the
mic.  Many people are bashful about "Need-A-Job" announcements, but I
was surprised to see about a 50/50 mix of have/need announcements over
the long term.  Worked quite well.

Regards,
--
Rex