Re: tlug: Possible Project

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998 craigoda@example.com wrote:

> Hello,
> I saw a very interesting article on NikkeiBP.
>
> http://biztech.nikkeibp.co.jp/wcs/show/leaf?CID=onair/biztech/gen/36529
>
> It's in Japanese, but I'm sure there are english versions of this.
> Evidently there were several rallies and support demos across the
> U.S. to coincide with the release of Windows '98.    There is
> a nice picture of the distinguished and tasteful Linux penguin
> over the tacky Windows '98 logo.
>
> The article also said that Silicon Valley LUG is planning to launch
> a small rocket in a few days with the tail fins made from Win '98 CDs.
> This is great.
>
> I think the Win '98-J release is scheduled for July.  I think it would
> be a blast if there was a Linux rally in Akihabara to coincide with the
> release date, maybe in front of T-Zone or Laox or something.  Evidently,
> the LUGs in the U.S. passed out Linux CDs.  SVLUG went through 500 CDs
> in 45 minutes.  This might be a worthy project to get corporate sponsorship
> and burn some CDs.   Alternately, in the U.S. companies like cheap bytes
> sell Linux CDs for a few dollars.  They don't have the Japanese stuff on
> it though.
>
> Unfortunately, I'll be in the U.S. for 5 weeks and will miss the event
> if it happens.  I just wanted to mention it and enjoy imagining a big
> Linux rally in Tokyo.

That would be fun, but the store owners would get mad at you if you gave
out linux CDs in front of the store, since they all sell TurboLinux inside
the store :) (well, except for Laser5...)

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: