Re: GIMP against the rest(was Re: GUIs: Motif or ...? (was Re: tlug: Fw: Could Linux Kill NT?))

    jb> Be warned, however, that most of the pages on 3Web's site were
    jb> not written by me and have not yet been flogged by me, so a

Not the point.  :-)  Most sites the home page itself, which is only
about 32 bytes of content (sans images), fails.  :-(

    jb> lot of them will not pass.  This applies to most of the ones
    jb> on the English version and almost everything on the Japanese
    jb> side, where only recently has anyone either known or cared
    jb> about such things.  What happens to them from here remains to
    jb> be seen.

Linux rules!

I'm sure there's spider software available for linux.  A little
scripting, and Presto!  JOISH (Jonathan's Own Irritating Supervisor
of HTML) is born!  Walk your own web, check them, and mail nastygrams
to the Perpetrators of Abomination.  All automagically, while _you_
write software reviews of the GIMP, PSP, and PhotoShop.  :-)

    jb> I noticed that the nsgmls in the Xemacs in TurboLinux chokes
    jb> on double-byte characters.

Not my job, mon.

Really.  This is an option in sp, not in XEmacs.  So ask Scott to do
up a double-byte-enabled sp for TL.

I don't recommend using w3.el as a verifier, too slow.  But it does
read DTDs, I think it's a full implementation.  It does _not_
implement the HTML, and XEmacs as yet has problems with font metrics
(=> table alignment is poor) so you don't want to

    jb> Maybe you can write to Bill Gates on my behalf and ask him to
    jb> do something about the mail headers in Outlook Express :-) I
    jb> do use Pine a lot too, though.  Isn't that supposed to be OK?

"Mistah Gates" and I aren't on speaking terms at the present.  :-)

What I don't like about Pine is that AFAIK you either specify
ISO-2022-JP for all your mail, or you don't (this was 3.91 or so
though, so it may run through and check for ASCII-only now).

VM is smart enough to ask Mule what it thinks is in the buffer.  This
is extremely efficient, since Mule caches that information anyway.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: