RE: tlug: Fw: Could Linux Kill NT?

    Scott> Besides, I thought this whole thread was about Linux vs NT,
    Scott> meaning, server functionality.  I would think that NT would
    Scott> have taught people the lesson that GUI and servers don't
    Scott> mix, and you should completely avoid using a GUI on a
    Scott> server machine....?

While I would agree that GUI on NT is a dangerous thing, I've had the
blue screen of death come up many times complaining about video related
problems, I have never had this problem under various flavors of
UNIX. Running X on a server is more of a performance issue, a possibly
a security issue, than one of reliability. On the few few occasions
that X has hung, I 've always been able to telnet in and kill it, with
the server happily trundling along.

Having said that, I tend not to run X on servers, but just because its
a memory hog. With memory prices so low, maybe that isn't such a big
deal anymore. Machines are fast enough now that X only uses a small
percentage of CPU as well.

So all in all, its the reliability of NT that scares me.

Andy
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: