Re: tlug: next generation browsers (was: need programmers help)

Jim Schweizer wrote:

[big snip]

> I'll have to check how we configured Apache, but I see a small
> problem with this. In order for the SSI to work the server has
> to parse each page - could be quite a load if the server ever
> gets popular. All those message pages end with *.html not
> *.shtml so wouldn't the server have to parse _every_ page
> requested for this to work?

You don't need to set it server wide there is always the quick and dirty
.htaccess file.

You can overwrite some server defaults with the .htaccess file. Apache
reads this file when accessing the directory. There are two solutions
one is overriding the mime type the other one is called XBitHack.

#1 If you want SSI simply enable that in Apache but only for the shtml
extension. Additional you create an .htaccess file in the directory
where the shtml files with the normal html extension are. The file
contains just one line that lookslike this:

AddHandler  server-parsed  html

(I know it's a very ugly thing to do, but it works)
If you need more info go to the page mod/mod_mime.html in the Apache
manual.

#2 Another solution is the XBitHack (never tried it though), that parses
only files with the user-execute bit set. It can be set server wide, for
certain directories only or with .htacces.

More info to the XBitHack can be found on page mod/mod_include.html of
the Apache manual.

urs
*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html