tlug: next generation browsers (was: need programmers help)

Hi all,

On 16-Jun-98 Jim Tittsler wrote:
> I like dynamically forming the pages that I spit out for this
> sort of thing... makes it easy to keep the data and
> presentation separate.

This is one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to the
time I can use Cascading Style Sheets on the TLUG home page. It
makes it really easy to dynamically change tags. So <strong>
could magically become

STRONG {
        font-style: normal;
        background: yellow;
        }

And I could put the nav items inside.

Does anyone have a good script to analyse the access.log to pull
out what browsers people are using? Maybe when there's a
critical mass of ver 4 browsers hitting the page I can make the
switch. Does emacs support CSS?

> I would suggest using a server side include rather than
> actually putting that block of "code" in each page.  This also
> allows you to make a change by just changing one included file.

I'll have to check how we configured Apache, but I see a small
problem with this. In order for the SSI to work the server has
to parse each page - could be quite a load if the server ever
gets popular. All those message pages end with *.html not
*.shtml so wouldn't the server have to parse _every_ page
requested for this to work?

Good ideas, though.

Thanks.

Jim S.

*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html