RE: tlug: Printing Japanese text in (X)emacs

Jonathan Byrne - 3Web writes:
 > Well, if I knew how to, I'd be more than happy to.  I'm just still sitting
 > here kind of amazed that it doesn't already work the way you want it to.
 > Since I have neither a fax modem nor a phone line to connect it to, the
 > issue has just never come up before.  But now that it has, I want to know
 > as well.  I'll try to dig into this and see if I can find any fax software
 > that will behave like a printer as far as Linux is concerned.  It looks
 > like it will likely have to wait until after the TLUG meeting, though.
 >
 > If you don't hear anything from me, please don't hesistate to remind me; I
 > do tend to be a bit forgetful :-)

In a minute I thought you were too modest to show what to do.

The situation is that it is easy to send or receive a fax on Linux.
A command like "fax send 555-1212 dummy.ps" does the job.
Probably it is easy to send command thru lpr. I don't know how to send
mail to fax thru sendmail especially when a fax modem is a modem that
is connected to ISP thru diald and pppd. How sendmail suspends diald
and pppd to send a fax?

So once Japanese text as in E-mail is converted into a PostScript
file, it is easy to send a fax.
People suggest using a2ps. But it seems a2ps does not support
Japanese though I have not got to reading the tutorial yet.

Anyway one advantage of a analog modem over isdn is that it can send a
fax.

Regards,,
Kei.
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station