tlug: Help! X Problem

Hello group,

Having a few spare hours at the weekend, I finally got up courage to
install Linux (Caldera Open Linux Lite) for the first time, and things
*were* going pretty well. Partitions set up OK, installed everything,
Linux starts up OK. I'm a complete beginner at Linux, and my last
contact with Unix was at university, so I was pleased!

Unfortunately I can't get X to run properly. I read the HowTo document,
but I'm none the wiser. It basically deals with problems that occur
after the server has switched to graphics mode. My problem comes before
that; I can't get the SVGA server to work at all. My hardware is
supposed to be supported, and the XF86Setup program works fine. It lets
me me set up all the various bits of my system, including the mouse and
video card. When I click 'Done' I get a nice grey screen that says
"Congratulations - you have a working X server" or something, but when
I go back to the prompt and type startx, the server just spews error
messages and drops me back at the prompt.

After messing with XF86Setup I managed to get the VGA server to run
(looks nasty). My machine is a Compaq Prolinea 5100 with built in
Cirrus 5434 graphics (2Mb). I'd post the the X server output, but being
an NT person I don't know how :o).

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Gavin Walker
N2K Japan
Yokohama
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station