tlug: HELP!!!

I'm in trouble.  I've spent the last three days trying to install
Solaris 2.6/x86 on one system within my office.  Now, now...let me
explain.  Have any of you taken a real good look at this product?  I
can't believe it's even on the market and carries the SUN label.  I'm
appauled, and probably fired....but that's beside the point.

Practically nothing is supported by the few drivers they provide.  I'd
be willing to bet the first release of Linux had better driver support
than this product (okay, maybe not, but you should really take a look).
You have to make your way through the installation praying that you've
done this before so you'll get through it.  The lack of documentation is
just amazing.  The book that is provided basically says, "insert boot
disk and cdrom,"..."then sit back and we'll do the rest."  Boy is that
far from the truth.  I've installed the same OS on several Sparc
platforms and WOW! what a difference.

I'm telling you, Linux, and I don't care what the version...is
lightyears ahead of this.  I just don't understand why he can't capture
a bigger piece of the pie.

Anyway, tomorrow I have the great pleasure of trying to utilize the
source drivers I downloaded and see if I can piece something together.
Oh how I wish I could go to the boss and say, "See...I told you we
should have bought Linux!"

Well, I'm going to drink a beer, cry, have a cigarette and plan my next
career.  Take it easy.

Blaine

(As you read this, you should all tilt back a beer (or favorite drink)
in salute to yet another Linux user who has been forced to use an
inadequate operating system, and while you tilt it back hum "on the road
again....") :-)
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor:

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station