Re: tlug: File Browsers

From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: File Browsers
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 18:02:24 +0900 (JST)

turnbull> Anyway, check out XEmacs's dired and see if it's any better.  Mouse
turnbull> handling should be better, which might help.  XEmacs 21 will probably
turnbull> have DnD for this, too.

Do you use dired?  I don't mind a steep learning curve if there is a light at
the end of the tunnel.  I've been using dired on and off for a year, but never
had a need for a file browser until recently.  Dired is okay, but it is
not really meeting my needs.  This could have more to do with the fact that
I don't know how to use it properly.

Now, I'm working with about 20 text files that I edit, a reference directory of
plain text files, and 4 FTP archives that are all hot-keyed.    What I want to do is
group files together that I'm currently working on so that if I press some
hot-keys, it shows me the 2-3 files that are relevant.  I like midnight commander
because I can hot-key an FTP site either anonymous or with a username and password in the
URL.  Dangerous, but convenient.  Are there ways to hot-key and group directories,
files, and file-systems in dired?

I've been using a bash shell inside of Emacs with links, pushd, popd, symbolic
links and funky options to ls up until now.  However, this is starting to break down.
I'm pretty happy with midnight commander except for the fact that when I am over
a file or URL, I can't just send it to an open session of Emacs/XEmacs.  This is
the advantage of dired.  Or, is  there a way to do this in midnight commander?
When I call the edit key over a text file I want to edit,
a new session of Emacs starts.  This means there is a delay.  What I want is to send it to
an open Emacs session.  Since I couldn't figure out how to send the information
to an open Emacs session, I have jed start.  Jed is pretty light and
fast, but it is not the same as Emacs.  I'm also having problems with the color
settings of jed inside of mc, but that is not a big problem.

I'm changing my work style because the amount of discrete files I work with
has increased and should increase even more in the future.

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda craigoda@example.com http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda (my PGP)

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station