Re: tlug: Linux for SGI

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> theoretically the kernel will compile on the MIPS architecture, but I
> don't think there are any distributions available.  I've heard that the
> new SGI stuff will be using the 64-bit Intel Merced chip, though, so ...
> but that's only a rumor I heard.

That's not just a rumor.  It was publicly announced by the head of SGI
quite a while back, and there's a great deal of information about it on
their web site.  SGI will port Irix to Merced, and MIPS Technologies is
being spun off into an independent, publicly held company.  I wouldn't be
at all surprised, considering the implications of those two moves, if SGI
were to someday abandon the MIPS processor altogether.  The cost of
revving it up to compete with Merced would be immense, and the competitive
environment may not allow them the luxury of such an expenditure.

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station