Re: tlug: Linux telecom nexus

On 02-Jun-98 Karl-Max Wagner wrote:
> Sorry...I am a seasoned rf engineer and I would nuke anybody
> that came up with ideas like feeding signals in the megahertz
> range into a pair of unshielded telephone wires. Such people
> deserve to be roasted alive.

How about the idea of feeding the signals into the public electricity supply
system? There is an article in this weeks New Scientist
(http://www.newscientist.co.uk/ns/980530/news.html) about an alternative ultra
fast internet access system using the mains supply as the carrier. They claim
data transfer rates up to 1000 kbits/ second. Unfortunately, they found with
their trial system that streetlights connected to the same system turned into
antennas, broadcasting lots of rf!

David

---
Dr. David Dibben
National Food Research Institute
2-1-2 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8642. Japan
Tel:  0298 38 8029
Fax: 0298 38 8122
E-Mail: dibben@example.com
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station