Re: tlug: base64

From: Karl-Max Wagner <karlmax@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: base64
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 09:16:14 +0000 (GMT)

karlmax> > Gee, I don't know how to make anything correctly read
karlmax> > base64.  The few times I've ever gotten anything that was
karlmax> > sent to me in base64, it never became anything but the
karlmax> > mojibake it arrived as :-)
karlmax> ???????Use Frank Pillhofer's "uudeview" and you're set. This is
karlmax> the best MIME decode I've ever used. Gets everything done unless
karlmax> it's total garbage.

munpack is another simple MIME decoder.

I've found the answer to my original question.  It did not deal with
MIME attachments, so much as MIME in the header of the mail message
as defined in RFC2047.  I'm not sure that there is a solution if we
continue to use majordomo.

I think what I may propose is that we start
moving away from majordomo for some of the smaller mailing lists on the
TLUG server and move toward FML.  Then, eventually move to FML for the
main TLUG list.  This would be over a period of time.  FML has several
advantages for the digests, including the ability for each user to
specify their own digest type based on format and time.  For example,
you can break the digest up by hour or every four hours, 12 hours, day.
You can also specify the time of day you want it sent.  This is different
than the current TLUG digest based on majordomo which spits out once a
day or when 40,000 characters have been spooled.  The FML system also
offers several solutions for display of MIME headers for individual
messages within a digest. Lastly, it offers the ability to reply to
individual messages within a digest.

I've got FML installed under my account on the TLUG server running
as user craigoda.  This is another nice feature of FML.  We could
allow individual members to start their own lists and have almost
complete control over their list.

I think I'm going to bring up on the tlug-admin list, the possibility
of switching tlug-admin over to FML as a test.  If it goes smoothly,
we can discuss what to do with tlug@example.com  I think the
move will be transparent to most people.  However, people that are
on the digest or make use of commands like index and get will notice
the change.  We would also have to coordinate the web archives and things
before hand.  Anyway, this is just an idea right now.

Have a nice day.  It is a beautiful sunny day in Tokyo!  :-)

Why am I in front of the computer?????

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda   craigoda@example.com   http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691