tlug: debian

I was told by a kind member to try debian because it is easier.  As I was
an administrator on a Sun system of more than forty machines on three
different lans, I bawked at this.  But, when I couldn't get SW to give me
internet access, I thought I would try.  I backed up everything to the dos
side of the house, and started.

It went well: install, dselect, setup and installing pkgs...  But then at
the xdm question, I chose to start xdm now.  When xdm started, I tried to
login and it accepted the login blanked the screen and then restarted
xdm...  WHY?

I guess I will boot with the rescue disk and comment out the xdm line in
?init? file...

My question is, was there more to the setup/package configuration process
that I missed by the xdm interruption?  Will I have to go through dselect
all over again?  Is the Configure option in dselect all I need?  Help,
please.

Also, one more question, the dmesg didn't reconize a modem on any of
/dev/cua?.  What should I do about that?  I have a 28.8 DSVD voice modem.
Is it possible that it is a winmodem?  I cannot find out by any means that
I know.

TIA,
Eric S. Standlee
e-w.standlee@example.com
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor:

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691