RE: tlug: FW: Windows 95

>>In article <003701bd890c$7b179d80$1302a8c0@example.com>, "Jonathan Byrne--3Web" <jq@example.com> writes:

> Here's a little piece of NT trivia passed on to me by a UNIX software
> engineer I know: according to him, NT isn't really very much of a Microsoft
> product.  All the important parts, including the marvelous NT file system,
> were written by hired guns from DEC, the same ones who designed VAX VMS.
> Apparently, about all Microsoft put in was the GUI and the Win32 API.  And
> they took out some goodies the DEC people wanted in, such as support for
> OS/2's HPFS.  Has anyone else heard this?

I heard it was one guy in particular, can't think of his name now, who
was promised the chance to design an OS from the ground up any way he
wanted.  (He had been teh chief architect of VMS at Digital.)  When he
got done, the Mickeysoft people moved in and trashed it.  He was so
pissed he threatened to quit, but this would have been an extrememly
embarassing way to kick off their brand spanking new OS, so they paid
him $4M ($4,000,000) to stay around and do whatever wanted, except of
course go public or work on his^H^H^Htheir new OS.  And one of its
features was supposed to be a micro kernel with most drivers in user
space, but performace stank so bad that they have gradually moved most
everything back in for speed, and all the pieces step on each other
and provide the well known NT reliability and robustness.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@example.com
  PGP = 91 B3 94 7C E9 E8 76 2D   E1 63 51 AA A0 48 89 2F  ITAR license #4933
Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691