Crakers (was: Re: tlug: spam)

Thank you very much for your suggestion,

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
 > Actually, a lot of crackers don't seem to know enough to go looking for
 > the logs.  Also, there's a good chance that you catch a "wannabe"
 > cracker, who is only following up on the work of a real cracker.  The
 > real cracker is often only identifiable by the new accounts he leaves
 > behind.

Actually, I've gotten the information about what he did, by attacing
his shell process with debugger and read the "history".  I guess that
any cracker couldn't deceive the memory itself. :-)

Also we identified where he came from.  He came from dial-up account
of small (possibly also cracked) ISP.

He is not student, but a person at venture company in Japan.  It seems
for me that he didn't know that he got captured his session, and did
many things including access to external hosts to get tools for
craking (tcpdump etc.).  He removed the shell history file, but
unlucky for him, I got all the command lines he typed.

			   * * *

There is a company selling ISS, famous security tool.  The important
fact is that any security tool has two edges, defending and attacking.
What we astonished was another sales person at related company (not
THE company directly) called me after the cracking, and said

	"Your site has been cracked."
	"How about buying ISS to secure your network?"

That got me mad.  It's kind of match and pump sales (maybe this phrase
is Japanese. ??). (provided our understanding of the log is correct.
It's NO WARRANTY.  Please don't ask me about the relation between
THE company and ISS.).

Please watch out folks.  I learned that's the real world.

			   * * *

For Hackers (not Crackers):
Recently, new feature called 'ipchains' is introduced into the Linux
kernel (2.1.102--).  I'm thinking about using this feature (IP level
packet control) along with TCP wrapper and others (application level
control).

Happy Networking,
Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691