Re: tlug: spam

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> I don't know when sendmail got this capability; I'm sure it wasn't
> distributed that way before a couple of months ago in any of the major
> Linux distributions, though.  Even if non-relaying sendmail had been
> widely available, I wouldn't have used it anyway---it would have taken
> as much time to learn enough about sendmail to be confident that the
> switchover wasn't going to cost my users mail.

sendmail has had this since 8.8.8, which I believe is still the current
version.  It sets up some nice config stuff in /etc/mail, and the default
is to allow relay only from 127.0.0.1.  You can specify hosts or addrglobs
of hosts to allow relaying to in the file, though.  one of my servers in
Utah was being used as a spam relay, .. since I've been over here, I don't
check on that server too often (it's a nice K5-133, runs forever w/o
crashing), and i didn't realize that it still had sendmail 8.8.5 ..! so I
upgraded it, and the relaying stopped.  Unfortunately one of our off-site
developers was legitimately using it as a relay, and that got broken.  He
wanted me to allow *.compuserve.com to relay thru it, since he has a
dynamic IP, but I refused... he ended up finding another solution, though,
which is good.

Sendmail 8.8.8 shipped with TurboLinux 1.2 in February, and on the 1.4J
CDs in (when was that, March?  April?) .and it's on the 1.9beta1/beta2 CDs
as well.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691