Re: tlug: Encrypted Email

On Sun, 24 May 1998, Alan B. Stone wrote:

> Thanks, but I knew about the International version, however, I'm looking
> for the US version.

There are several reasons that I'd recommend PGPi over PGP.

* Export restrictions.  If I understood your email correctly, you have
  pgp2.6.3 (and live in Japan), and your father has PGP 5.5 (and lives in
  the states).  ITAR is nasty stuff.

* Source code availability.  PGPi source code is freely available (and is
  derived from the US sources -- should be damned near identical).  PGP
  source code is only available via the PGP book.  I think the Linux
  binary that's on the NA site is timelimited, too, but don't quote me on
  that.

* Functionality.  You're not losing anything by running PGPi versus PGP --
  completely interoperable, equally secure ... and you have source code.

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691