Re: tlug: Booting Linux on Sun

From: Gaspar Sinai <gsinai@example.com>
Subject: tlug: Booting Linux on Sun
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 09:44:56 +0900 (JST)

> Recently I received a sun ipx and I dont have a keyboard. I have linux on
> (RH4.2) it, I know it works alright when used with keyboard and monitor.
>
> I want to use it without keyboard. When I connect to port a I can start
> the silo boot sequence but it stops soon after network message
> (Appletalk...) . Does anyone know how to continue the boot sequence,

I seem to recall a similar experience when using a serial booted Sparc.

In my case I started with NO monitor and NO kybd.   I installed Linux from
another Sparc on the network with a Mac connected to the serial port for
the terminal.

Everything worked fine.

Then I got a monitor and kybd for the Sparc, connected it up to the w/s and
restarted.

The first half of the boot [upto the Appletalk part if my memory serves me
correctly] appeared on the w/s monitor.   Then it continued on booting
through the serial port.    So if I only had the w/s monitor on, it appeared
as though the system had hung up - but in reality it had booted, and the
login screen was waiting for me on the Mac [the serial port].

To get everything back to the w/s monitor and kybd I used 'setconsole'.

From what I gather you want to do the opposite.   But I couldn't tell from
your message whether you still have the monitor connected to the IPX, or
whether you saw the 'Appletalk' msg through the serial port connection?

tim :)