Re: tlug: Japanese Web browser for X

From: "Jonathan Byrne" <jpmag@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Japanese Web browser for X
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 20:12:06 +0900

jpmag>
jpmag> -----Original Message-----
jpmag> From: Frank Bennett <bennett@example.com>
jpmag> To: tlug@example.com <tlug@example.com>
jpmag> Date: 1998年5月18日 17:55
jpmag> Subject: tlug: Japanese Web browser for X
jpmag>
jpmag>
jpmag> >Is there a Netscape out there that takes a Jse FEP for
jpmag> input?
jpmag>
jpmag> it displays mojibake in buttons.  There is a hack for
jpmag> Netscape 3 to make it display Japanese in buttons and allow
jpmag> cut-and-paste input of Japanese, but this is a sledgehammer

The hack exists for Netscape 4 too.  You can also get Japanese
to appear in the bookmarks, the title bar, the bottom text area,
the history, and of course, all the buttons.  There is even
a set of Xresources definitions to make the menus appear in Japanese
too.

jpmag> approach and something the students would A) need
jpmag> instruction on doing, and B) get fed up with pretty quickly.

I in the case of an X client and several X servers running off the
single client, it should be okay.  On the main X client move
the netscape binary to something like netscape-orig and then in a
script called netscape, call up netscape-orig after you preload the
locale library.  Then the students could just run Netscape with the
word, netscape.  Alternately, run a window manager like
afterstep and link the Netscape icon to the script.

jpmag> Basically, the bottom line is that for now, there is nothing
jpmag> you'll be able to find that is going to satisfy people who
jpmag> are used to doing their web surfing under MacOS or Windows.
jpmag> Indeed, that's why I don't do much of my web surfing under
jpmag> Linux, either :-(

I would have to disagree here.  The Linux version of Netscape is
at least as usuable as the one for the Mac.  You have to fiddle
with Netscape under Linux to get the Japanese fonts looking as
good as they would be under Windows '95-J.  Also, I think that
there are a few more plugins for Windows.  Like that shockwave
one from Macromedia.  However, the Java support under Linux is
pretty decent.  There is also a Java activator for Linux.  Using
Japanese input under Linux doesn't appear to change the stability
that much.  Netscape still crashes for me more than Emacs does.  However,
I think that it would crash under Windows or NT too.

Actually, I seem to remember testing some streaming video on Windows
'95-J using Netscape and some plugin and I couldn't take it because
it was crashing so much.

I would recommend Linux and Netscape with a small patch to preload a
library.

Regards,
Craig

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691