Re: tlug: Hello, I'm a newbie and help!

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Gavin Walker wrote:

> Basic question: Am I in for a world of pain, or will the task be easy?
> Any pre-install hints would be much appreciated.

If you have IDE drives, make sure the CMOS has the LBA option set.

> After the installation I'll be wanting to write some code. I'm guessing
> that the easy to use development environments like VB and VC++ aren't
> going to be available for Linux. Am I back in my University days with a
> text editor and command line, or are there less labour intensive
> solutions? Also, any recommended books?

since when was VB and VC++ easy to use?  Caused me no end of trouble when
I had to use them.  I was glad to be back to emacs and gcc... highlighting
text in VC++ would frequently produce a GPF for me, actually :)

Linux also comes with 'xwpe', which is similar to the old text-mode
Borland C++ interface (Turbo C++, I guess).

Personally, I use emacs and the commandline 'make', 'gcc', etc.  Hopefully
the years of VC++ haven't deteriorated your ability to write a Makefile :)

> Ah, erm, sorry for sending a pile of questions as a first message...
>
> Regards,
>

> Gav
> Yokohama
> Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next TLUG Meeting: 13 June Sat, Tokyo Station Yaesu gate 12:30
> Featuring Stone and Turnbull on .rpm and .deb packages
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691