RE: tlug: ISDN

-----Original Message-----
差出人 : J. David Beutel <jdb@example.com>

>Is there a Japan ISDN FAQ?

Have I got an E-J bilingual ISDN site for you :-)

http://www.bricks.co.jp/

>I guess my cheapest option is to buy a used analog line for about
>JPY50,000, use my 28.8k modems on it, and then resell it in a few years.

I understand that there is a some kind of deal for ISDN where you can rent
the line instead of buying it.  I think you'll probably find info on that at
the above site.  If you don't, e-mail them and they'll get back to you.

>I've heard that the ISDN basic rate interface is two 64k B-channels
>for data or voice, plus one 16k D-channel for out-of-band data.
>Is it the same in Japan?  How do the usage rates compare (including
>ISPs, e.g., TWICS)?  How much is BRI, and can I resell it later

Yes, it uses the standard 2B+D format.  Be aware that you must buy a TA here
to use it; the NTT ISDN switch is not compatible with any others (big
surprise, right?).  Most Internet providers charge the same rate for 64K
ISDN as they do for analog dial-up.  I believe Twics does, and 3Web (my
employer) does.  I believe Global Online does, but double-check on their web
site to make sure.  AT&T WorldNet also does.  Most providers don't offer
128K access, and the ones that do normally charge double what they charge
for 64K access (we don't offer it).

>like an analog line?  Is "Always On/Dynamic ISDN" available?

You've got me on that one; I've never heard the term.  In my book, "always
on" implies a leased line, but . . . ?

Leased ISDN lines are available from any provider, but they aren't cheap.
The cost of a 128K line here, between provider and NTT charges, is probably
ballpark with a T-1 line in a major North American city.  It might even be
more.

>For hardware, I've heard of routers which will establish data connections
>on one or both B channels based on bandwidth demand, and also provide

The Ascend Pipeline is one of many that will do this.  I'm not sure if any
providers offer that sort of bandwidth on demand or not, either.  I believe
some ISDN TAs may also have this ability, but I'm not sure on that one.

>two analog jacks.  Then, there are ISDN modem cards, but can Linux
>handle them?  (I might use Linux on my desktop as a router to my laptop..)

Generally, an external TA is better and gives you more analog ports.

>in Japan?  Would the same hardware work well in the US?

Japanese ISDN hardware doesn't work anywhere else, and vice versa.

If you want fast and reliable access, though, go with ISDN.  Don't mess
around with modems.  The only thing NTT has that's a bargain is ISDN, so I'd
recommend it.

Good luck,

Jonathan

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691