Re: tlug: ISDN / pppd hell.

From: Vincent Thomas <vt@example.com>
Subject: tlug: ISDN / pppd hell.
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 00:10:26 +0900

vt> The MAJOR change (if I understand it correctly) is that I am now
vt> logging on at high speed which means that instead of login / password,
vt> tbeing handled by the chat script, the authentication (PAP) is now
vt> handled directly by the pppd daemon.

This would depend on whether you are dialing a different phone number for
modem and for ISDN access.  On most ISPs that use Ascend or Total
Control type equipment, the phone number is the same.  The incoming INS1500
signals are automatically divided into analog and digital types by the
router you are dialing into.  So, the number is the same and thus
the connection method is the same.   If your ISP told you to use
a login, password script for the modems and PAP for ISDN, then this
means that they are using different equipment for modems and ISDN.
Both ISDN and analog signals can use the login scripts, PAP, and CHAP.
The login method is independent of whether you are using ISDN or
a modem.

vt> that I cannot get beyond a CONNECT - I get an "LCP:timeout sending
vt> Config-Requests" every time. (Even if I try dialing in on minicom,
vt> exit without a reset and manually start pppd)
vt>
vt> Eventually (30secs) I get kicked out of the system...

If you're connecting, you probably don't have to worry about
the sync/async issue.  Most likely your pap-secrets file is
incorrectly setup.  However, you may want to reconfirm with your
ISP if they are really using PAP.  Perhaps, the connection
method is the same for the modem you were using and new ISDN
equipment?

vt> My friendly ISP provider was even reluctant to confirm that they used
vt> PAP authentication when I mentioned Linux, so I'm really on my own here
vt> and this is gradually progressing from a good learning experience to a
vt> rather frustrating one :-o

Using PAP has nothing to do with using Linux.  How can the ISP be
reluctant to confirm the authentication method?  Maybe they misunderstand
your question.  Just tell them that
you're using a major UNIX vendor (don't name Linux specifically)
and using pppd.  Then ask them specifically if you need to use
PAP authentication on the ISDN connection.  Some ISPs will tell
you or imply that you can't connect with Linux just to avoid the support
problem.

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda   craigoda@example.com   http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craig
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691