Re: tlug: Naive VM and How to fake out Pine

    Kei> Apr 29 02:13:21 seagate sendmail[2108]: GAA09092:
    Kei> to=tlug@example.com, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=2+19:22:18,
    Kei> xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=esmtp, relay=misc.twics.com.,
    Kei> stat=Deferred: 418 <root@example.com>... unresolvable host
    Kei> name seagate.kei,check your setup.

    Stephen> What's happening is that TWICS's MTA (sendmail or smail
    Stephen> or qmail) is doing a DNS lookup on the address that your
    Stephen> machine gives in the HELO command of SMTP.  You are
    Stephen> required to give a valid hostname according to RFC 1123,
    Stephen> so you're in violation, too.  However, RFC 1123
    Stephen> specifically forbids refusing mail on the basis of the
    Stephen> result of a lookup of that hostname.

    jdb> Received: from kamishimo (jdb@example.com [202.237.149.171])

According to the analysis above, this should have been rejected.
"kamishimo.twics.com doesn't exist (Authoritative answer)."

    jdb> 	by misc.twics.com (8.8.8/8.8.6) with SMTP id NAA14742
    jdb> 	for <tlug@example.com>; Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:01:26 +0900
    jdb>        (JST)
    jdb> X-Sender: jdb@example.com
    jdb> From: "J. David Beutel" <jdb@example.com>
    jdb> Sender: owner-tlug@example.com

It's not as simple as I thought.  Evidently TWICS is applying
different rules to TWICS lines than it does to everybody else.
(sendmail can do this.)  Or maybe not.

Given the formats of the error and the Received: header in David's
mail, I'm wondering if the problem isn't a failure of an IDENT check
rather than the HELO line.  (This is also weak as a spam check; every
Windows IRC client known to man spoofs identd; I'm sure the spammers
do so as well.)

Kei, if you're _not_ running an identd daemon, you could try running
one and see if that allows you to get through to TWICS.

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: