Re: tlug: Re: Naiibu and other naivetes

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     jb> From: Kei Furuuchi <kfur@example.com>
>
>     >> In Japanese, the word "(Naiibu)Naive" means something like
>     >> sensitive while in English the same word means something like
>     >> clueless.
>
> Actually, not.  It means "unsophisticated" or "lacking in complexity."
> I'm not sure if that's what it means in French.  It also carries
> overtones of "impressionable".  That's not very far from "sensitive."

I kind of go along with Kei's definition as being something like
"clueless."  Also, for a lot of people, the difference between "naive" and
"stupid" is a very fine shade of nuance, as well. I think some people use
them or less interchangeably in some contexts.   Another way we could
define it that takes in both clueless and unsophisticated might be "So
lacking in experience that the person is easily fooled or confused."  That
seems more like the clueless side of the fence to me.  In any case, I sure
don't want to buy an products with that name stuck on them, since they
could be implying that you'd have to be clueless/inexperienced/a fool to
buy them :-)

Jonathan

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: