tlug: Re: FSF Emacs 20.x

Thanks Craig for the summary.

> > Like with my last system upgrade: Red Hat 5.0, Japanese support in
> > FSF Emacs 20 not working, no mime or pgp support for mh-e built in etc.
>
> Just to summarize.  FSF Emacs 20 needs the fontset set to display
> Japanese under X.  I set mine to standard.

The Emacs 20.2 from my Red Hat CD seemed to have multibyte support
disabled intentionally (but I found no hint to that in the documentation).
No leim directory, files like japan-util.el were just empty etc.
So enable-multibyte-characters, set-language-environment etc. did not work,
although info and the Emacs News said it should.

A friend then helped me to build a new Emacs 20.2 with the international
stuff in it, but under the standard fontset it did not display the hello
messages correctly. So he added

(if (eq window-system 'x)
(create-fontset-from-fontset-spec [... list of fonts ] )) to my .emacs.

> Canna support
> is possible using dynamic libraries.  I posted information in Japanese
> earlier.

I have been using Mule and Canna all the time, so perhaps I should try
to add it. Don't know if I can get used to quail, which probably can't use
my Canna user dictionary, can it?

> mime and pgp support are available under mew.  Mew works in Emacs
> and is the most popular mail reader among the JLUG people.

Since people like you seemed to be somewhat struggling with mew, it
did not look that encouraging for me I must confess ;)

> I've found that edict.el works under XEmacs20.x.  Stephen Turnbull
> has released a new version that is an improvement.  I'm still
> using the old version.  I am having problems with the old version of
> edict.el under Emacs20.

Looking forward to the development here.

> Also, we've expanded searching and archive services of the mailing
> lists.

Yes, this proved to be useful in finding out about Japanese support
in Emacs 20. The webboard too. Thank you for setting these things up.

> So, if you are shy, you can still make use of the resources.
> However, no need to be shy.

No, I'm just slow :) and cannot spend a lot of time with the system.

Irene
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: