Re: tlug: Linux Office Suite

Scott Stone <sstone@example.com> writes:

> On 17 Apr 1998, Frank Bennett wrote:
>
> > The only conversion server for Emacs/Mule that I know does _not_
> > work with the common "egg" interface is SKK, which relies on the
> > user feeding it information about furigana boundaries that other
>
> TurboLinux 1.4J and above come with a version of mule which will use skk.
> Thanks to Takashi Manabe for patching it to do that...

I forgot to mention that SKK is limited in principle to
Mule/Emacs 20, the application for which it was originally
developed.  There are two ways of drawing on the SKK conversion
dictionaries.  One, the most efficient in a multi-user
environment, is through a server daemon written in C.  The other
method somewhat weirdly uses an implementation of the server
written entirely in eLisp -- this is the fastest method to
install, and should work on any Mule or Emacs 20 if you have the
lisp code to hand and are in a hurry.  The eLisp goes into a
buffer, though, so if you run two copies of Mule with this SKK
model, you get two complete copies of the conversion server in
memory ...

The paragraph immediately above opens with a slight fib.  There
is an FEP shell out there (skkfep?) that is meant to provide an
SKK FEP (via the SKK server daemon) to any application that is
8-bit clean in display and input, where there is a separate means
of displaying the Japanese text it generates (i.e. kon) -- in
other words, to do on character terminals what kterm does in X,
but bound directly to this single conversion engine, instead of
using a mediating process like kinput2.  It was pretty unstable
for me four years ago, I don't know whether it's improved since
then.

Cheers,
--
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@