Re: tlug: Office suite for use under Linux (taken private)

>My messages on this thread are not coming from my position as
>a TLUG officer.  If you feel threat out of those, you are wrong.

I took this private since this is semi off-topic, and also since I agree
that we should let this thread come to a close.  I just want to say
something that I think perhaps you've missed here, which is that it is not
possible for an official of any organization to make a comment that does not
reflect his or her official capacity.  I do not, as Kei wrote, feel a threat
from that; rather, I think it looks very bad for any member of TLUG, but
especially, an officer of the group, to say things like that.  Even if you
say "I am not speaking in my official capacity," anything you say will be
interpreted as "The officials at TLUG hold that position."  Even if you
don't mean it that way at all, it will be taken that way.

>I only reacted the word "purist".

I understand that no one who is not a purist would want to be labeled as
one, and I apologize if anyone has misinterpreted you.  However, if you go
back and read your original post, I think you might agree that even if you
are not a purist and did not mean it to come out sounding the way it did,
the post itself contained a clearly purist statement.  You may not realize
it, and you may have intended it to sound far differently than it did, but
that post sounded like something a person might expect to hear from Richard
Stallman.  That is what set so many people off (more people than you
realize; I received private e-mail in support on this issue, from people who
did not wish to post publicly).

While Frank has no authority to "call a truce" on anyone else's behalf, I do
agree that this issue can and should be allowed to die out, and I am glad to
see that TLUG is firmly a middle-of-the-road, pragmatic organization on the
subjects of coexistance with, and use of, other operating systems.

Cheers,

Jonathan

a word from the sponsor: