Re: tlug: Office suite for use under Linux

On 16 Apr 1998, Frank Bennett wrote:

> My apologies for that bit of disinformation.  If you can provide
> any information about the beta Applix-J for Linux (likely release
> date for the hungry masses? contact address at Applix so I stop
> bothering you?), I would be most grateful.

You can use me as your contact address, since we (Pacific HiTech) will be
the distribution point for Applixware-J for Linux.  Relevant information:

Price: 29800 Yen
Release Date: End of May 1998

> > Wabi only works with 16-bit Windows applications.
>
> I know next to nothing about Windows, so I need the learner's
> version of this answer (sorry!).  The Japanese version of Windows
> 3.11 is not 16-bit?

It is, BUT:

Wabi and WINE are not like dosemu - they don't bootstrap Windows into
Linux (dosemu bootstraps a real version of MS-DOS into memory when it
runs).  Wabi or WINE will simply RUN the Windows application and try to
treat it as if it were an X app.  I have no idea if it'll work with
Japanese apps, but I'd be willing to bet considerable money that you'd
have considerable difficulty in doing this.

IMHO, your best bet is to get Applixware-J for Linux, preferably along
with a copy of TurboLinux-J PRO, since that includes the Wnn6 Japanese
Input System (fully licensed professional version).  OR, you can buy that
separately from us w/o purchasing TurboLinux.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: