Re: tlug: Office suite for use under Linux

Scott Stone <sstone@example.com> writes:

> On 16 Apr 1998, Frank Bennett wrote:
>
> >   o Applixware.  Ships for Linux, runs under X, sounds nice
> >     but costs an utterly outrageous 400,000 for the Japanese
> >     version.  Pass, unless that price is a typographical error.
>
> Who's shipping an Applixware-J for Linux?  My company is beta-testing the
> only known (to us) Japanese applixware for Linux, and we have the
> appropriate licensing agreements with Applix, etc...  are you sure that's
> a LINUX version?  Anyway, I'm not sure what our price will be on Applix-J
> yet, since it's still in beta.

Hmm.  I can't track down a reference to Linux at the following
site, so this may have been my misunderstanding.  I did
correspond with someone at the site below about this last year,
but maybe I've gotten my wires crossed.  From the "Bugs fixed in
the latest version" section of the site, it does appear that the
most common platform is HPUX.  Anyway, the price info I was
quoting is here:

   Linkname: Price List
   Owner(s): None
       size: 139 lines
       mode: normal

My apologies for that bit of disinformation.  If you can provide
any information about the beta Applix-J for Linux (likely release
date for the hungry masses? contact address at Applix so I stop
bothering you?), I would be most grateful.

> >   o Run Caldera's Wabi system for Linux, with a Japanese version
> >     of Windows and Japanese versions of MS Office.  Question is
> >     whether Wabi will work with Japanese windows.
>
> Wabi only works with 16-bit Windows applications.

I know next to nothing about Windows, so I need the learner's
version of this answer (sorry!).  The Japanese version of Windows
3.11 is not 16-bit?

Cheers,
--
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@