Re: tlug: was email software --> UNICODE input

    Craig> Handwriting recognition would be an interesting (but
    Craig> difficult) possibility.

    Stephen> The first two are not really input methods, in the sense
    Stephen> that they're far too inefficient.  The third is not as
    Stephen> difficult as you might think.  Try the URL
    Stephen> http://www.mit.edu/~cadet (I think it is) and look for
    Stephen> the package `strokes.el'.  But it's not going to beat
    Stephen> Canna, either.

I mentioned that I agreed with Craig that handwriting input would be
difficult. But I didn't mean that it was necessarily difficult for
kanji. Somewhere I still have a tiny Japanese wapuro that I bought
maybe 8 years ago. You input JIS level 1 kanji on a tiny LCD screen,
one at a time. (You could hold the thing in one hand and it printed,
too.) About three years ago, at a computer show in Taipei, I tried out
several handwriting input systems for Chinese, all impressive. I've
seen references to recent systems. I assume the technology is pretty
good by now. Rather than kanji, I was thinking of other scripts
... Arabic, Tibetan, Devanagari, and so forth. There may not have been
as much incentive to develop handwritten input for them.

Thanks for the URL.

Jon

--
Jon Babcock <jon@example.com>